Windows Hello is a facial-recognition and fingerprint reading biometric technology introduced in Windows 10 computers. You can use the fingerprint or the face recognition feature to login to your computer. It adds more security to your computer, so that others cannot login to your computer without your permission. Recently we encountered an issue with Windows Hello. After installing the latest updates on the computer, users reported Windows Hello not working after 1903 update.
When Windows Hello stops working, users will not be able to login to the computer using the fingerprint or the face recognition feature. We found these similar issues with Windows Hello during the V1809 upgrade and now with the V1903 update. In our previous articles, we have discussed how to download and install V1903 update on Windows 10.
If you are facing the issue with Windows Hello not working after installing the V1903 update, this guide helps you to fix the issue and start logging to your computer using the fingerprint and the face recognition features.
How to fix Windows Hello not working after 1903 update?
When Windows Hello stops working, you will not be able to login to the computer using the fingerprint and face recognition sensors. In this case, we suggest you to enter the login PIN or the password manually and then proceed with the below resolution steps.
Quick Note: As soon as you login to the computer, we suggest you to create a System Restore point first and then proceed with the troubleshooting. If something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
Install Windows Updates manually:
If some of the issues created by the latest build, Microsoft releases further updates to fix those issues. Therefore, it is recommended to check and install the updates on your computer to get Windows Hello to work properly. To install Windows Updates, follow the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on keyboard to open Settings window, Click on Update & Security.
2. Click on check for updates option.
3. Computer will check for the updates and if found any, it will install them automatically.
Once updates are installed, reboot your computer and check if the Windows Hello works fine. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Update/reinstall drivers to fix Windows Hello not working issue:
If the webcam or the fingerprint sensor drivers are damaged or corrupt, they may not work properly and does not work when you try logging to your computer. It results the issue with Windows Hello not working on your computer.
To reinstall the drivers in your computer, follow the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + X keys on keyboard and click on the option Device Manager.
2. Locate the fingerprint and webcam drivers, right click on it and uninstall it.
3. Once it is done, close the Device Manager window and reboot your computer.
4. After rebooting, launch Device Manager again and click on the option Scan for hardware changes.
It will reinstall the webcam and the fingerprint sensor drivers. Now, check if the Windows Hello works fine. If the issue with Windows Hello not working remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Modify Group Policy Settings:
Latest updates installed in the computer might have modified the group policy settings. It might have the impact on Windows Hello functionality. Therefore, make sure the Windows Hello settings are proper in the Group Policy Settings.
Refer the below links to perform the same.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, type gpedit.msc and hit enter. It will launch Local Group Policy Editor.
2. Navigate to the location Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics > Facial Features.
3. In the above location, double click on the option Configure enhanced anti-spoofing option.
4. Select the option Disabled. Click on Apply and then OK.
Reboot your computer now and check if the fingerprint and the face recognition sensors work fine. If the error continues, you can try performing the System Reset. You can refer the below steps to perform the same.
Perform System Reset:
If the above troubleshooting steps did not help to fix the issue with Windows Hello not working, you can try performing the System Reset. It will help you to reset the Windows settings to default. You can refer the below link to perform System Reset on your computer.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the issue with Windows Hello not working after installing the latest updates on your computer. If you need any further assistance on Windows 10 issues, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.