Sometimes, when you try logging into your computer, the login screen will not allow you to enter the user account password and does not let you to login to the computer. Further it prompts the error Windows couldn’t connect to the ProfSvc service. Please consult your System Administrator.
ProfSvc refers to the User Profile service. Every time when you try login to your computer or logout from your computer, this service should be running. Suppose if this service is damaged or corrupted with some reason, you won’t be able to login to your user account. Therefore, if the User Profile Service is not working as expected, you will encounter this issue and the error appears as below.
If you are encountering this Windows couldn’t connect to the ProfSvc service error on your computer, you can refer these simple resolution steps and fix the issues.
How to fix Windows couldn’t connect to the ProfSvc service error?
If you have only one user account on your computer and you are the Administrator, you need to make changes in the registry to fix this issue and login to the computer. However, in this case, as the computer is not booting up, follow the below steps to open the Registry Editor and make the required changes.
- When you are at the login screen with the above error prompting, press & hold SHIFT key on keyboard and reboot the computer.
- It will take you to the Advanced Options at the start up. In the Choose an option screen click on Troubleshoot.
3. On Troubleshoot screen, click on Advanced Options.
4. Click on Command Prompt in the Advanced Options Screen.
5. In the elevated Command Prompt, type regedit and hit enter to open the Registry editor.
6. Navigate to the below location.
7. In the right pane of the ProfSvc key, double click on Start REG_DWORD to modify its Value data.
8. Set the Value data to 2 and click on OK.
Now, close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer. The login screen should work fine this time and you should be able to login to your computer.
The above resolution steps helps you to fix the issue with Windows couldn’t connect to the ProfSvc service on your computer and let your machine works back to normal. If you need any further assistance on this error, do comments below.