Often Windows users encounter the issue while installing the Updates in the computer. Windows Update errors is the term where the Windows users are most familiar with. There are issues with the Updates like computer keeps on searching for the Updates, Windows updates not installing in the computer, Windows updates got stuck while installing and many more. To overcome most of the issues, you need to learn how to reset Windows Update components to default with simple steps.
You can reset Windows Update components to default with some automatic tools as well as manual troubleshooting steps. In this article, we will explain both the ways to reset the components automatically as well as with the manual troubleshooting steps.
Windows 10 has some inbuilt tools, which helps the uses to troubleshoot most of the issues in simple steps. Some windows update errors gets fix by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, some by resetting the update components and some other needs some advanced troubleshooting steps.
How to reset Windows update components to default?
Quick Note: Before making any changes in the computer, we suggest you to create a System Restore point. If something goes wrong during troubleshooting, you can restore computer back to previous working state.
As mentioned above, you can reset Windows Update components with some pre-designed automatic tools as well as manual troubleshooting steps. Let us learn about both steps in detail.
How to reset Windows Update components using the batch file?
Download and run the below batch file to reset Windows Update components. The file was compressed in a ZIP file. Extract the files from the ZIP file, right click on the WUReset file and select the option Run as Administrator.
This script has tested in Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and Windows 7. It resets the Windows Update components automatically.
- Right click on ZIP file and select the option extract. Open the folders.
- Next, right click on WUReset file and select option Run as Administrator.
3. Command prompt will open and asks to Press any key to continue. Press any key.
4. The resetting process will start.
5. After few seconds, it says Task completed successfully…. Press any key to continue…. Press any key to exit the command prompt.
6. Now, reboot your computer and try installing the updates. If the issue remains, you can try resetting the components with manual troubleshooting steps.
How to reset Windows Update components using command prompt?
You can reset the Windows Update components manually by running the commands in the Windows Command prompt. Follow the below resolution steps to perform the same.
- Type cmd in the Windows search box, right click on the Command Prompt and select option Run as Administrator to open command prompt window.
2. First, you need to stop Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS), Windows Update service and Cryptographic service. To do that, type the following commands one by one and make sure to hit enter after each command line.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Please make sure that you see a message saying the service has stopped successfully after running each command.
3. Type the following command to delete all the qmgr*.dat files created by BITS from your computer and hit enter.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
4. To confirm the deletion type Y when prompted.
5. Type the following commands to clear the Windows Update cache to allow Windows 10 re-download the updates, instead of using the files already downloaded on your computer that might be damaged and hit Enter on each line.
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
6. Reset the BITS and Windows Update services to their default security descriptor. Type the following commands and make sure to hit enter after each command.
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
7. Now, move on to the System32 folder using the following command.
cd /d %windir%\system32
8. To get the Windows Update agent working properly again, you need to re-register all the corresponding BITS and Windows Update DLL files on the Registry. Make sure to type the following commands correctly and hit enter after each command.
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll
regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll
regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll
regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll
9. To reset the network configuration, type the following commands and hit enter after each command.
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
10. It is all done now. At the end, you need to restart BITS, Windows Update and Cryptographic services. Type the following commands and hit enter after each command.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
11. Make sure that all the services restarted and reboot your computer.
This complete the task of resetting the Windows Update components. Now, Windows Updates should install fine in the computer. If you need further help, do comments below.