Performing the clean boot allows you to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers, services and startup programs, so that you can determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing the issues. You can perform clean boot of the computer usually when the computer not working properly, booting slowly or if some of the installed application not working as expected.
After performing the clean boot, computer will loads with a set of selected minimal drivers and applications at the startup and let you to identify the cause of the issues easily and fix them quickly. Clean boot also helps you to increase the boot speed of the computer and applications also starts responding fast.
How to clean boot your Windows computers?
The process of performing the clean boot in Windows 10/8.1 and 8 are quite similar whereas it varies with few options in Windows 7 and the older versions of the Windows Operating System.
In this article, we will guide you how to perform the clean boot in all the versions of Operating System. Let us learn how to perform clean boot in Windows 10 / 8.1 & 8 first.
How to perform clean boot on Windows 10 / 8.1 & 8?
Follow the below simple resolution steps and perform clean boot in Windows 10 / 8.1 and 8 and let your computer work better.
- Click on Windows button on the desktop, type msconfig and select the option System Configuration.
2. It will open the System Configuration window.
3. On General tab, uncheck the option Load startup items and click on Services.
4. Next, on Services tab, check the option Hide all Microsoft Services, then select the option Disable All and click on Apply.
5. Now, move on to Startup tab in the System configuration window and select the option Open Task Manager.
6. It will open the list of startup applications. Select each application and click on the option Disable.
7. Once it is completed, close the Task Manager, select Apply and OK on System Configuration window.
8. Message will pop up to restart, reboot the computer to start the computer in a clean boot mode.
To revert, you just need to restart all the services on by one after identifying the issues and enable only few of the startup programs later time for the better performance of the computer.
How to perform clean boot on Windows 7?
Performing the clean boot in Windows 10 and 7 are quite similar. However, the startup programs will directly load in Windows 7 without letting you to open the Task Manager. You can follow the below resolution steps to perform clean boot on Windows 7 computers.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open RUN window, type msconfig and hit enter to open System Configuration window.
2. On the General tab, click on Selective Startup and uncheck the option Load Startup items.
3. Next, open Services tab, check the option Hide all Microsoft Services, and select Disable all option and click on OK.
4. On the Startup tab, disable all the startup programs and click on OK.
5. Computer will prompt to reboot. Restart the computer to load Windows 7 in clean boot mode and you can clearly identify what factors causing the issues in your computer.
You can revert the Windows 7 computer from clean boot to normal mode by selecting the normal startup option and restarting all the required Services.
Performing clean boot in Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 and Windows 7 is quite simple and easy. You can refer the screenshots and perform the same easily in your computer. If you need any further help, comment below.