Windows Firewall is a Windows application that filters information coming to your system from the Internet and blocking potentially harmful programs. Windows 10 has a security feature called Firewall and network protection that protects network system from virus and Trojans. Users can assign some rules in the Firewall settings. Suppose if the Firewall not working as expected, you can restore Windows Firewall settings to default.
Certain applications or software are not allowed by the Firewall settings policy. If the users are installing such an application, then they manually allow in the firewall settings to make the application or software run into the device. Sometimes the user may make so many changes in the Firewall settings that it gives access to the network issues and problems in accessing and running some applications, printing, sharing files, emails or such work.
If you detect any issues on your Firewall or if the Windows Firewall not working properly as expected, you can try to restoring Firewall settings to default. This guide helps you to restore settings to default.
How to restore Windows Firewall settings to default?
You can restore settings to default in multiple ways. In this guide, we will explain each method. You can follow any one of the methods to restore Firewall settings.
Methods to restore Firewall settings are:
Now, let us go in detail how to reset the Firewall settings by each of the above-mentioned methods.
Follow the below steps to restore Firewall settings from the Control Panel.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window. Type control and hit enter. It will launch the Control Panel.
2. Click on View by option at the top right corner and select Small icons.
3. Now, click on Windows Defender Firewall.
4. On the left hand side, click on the option Restore defaults.
5. It will take you to Restore default settings option. Click on Restore defaults button.
6. You will see the confirmation prompt as below. Click on Yes.
This will restore settings to default in Windows 10 computers.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on your keyboard to open Settings window. Click on Update & Security.
2. Click on Windows Security on the left hand side and then select the option Firewall & network protection.
3. Scroll down and at the end, you will see the option Restore firewalls to default. Click on it.
4. Again, you will get the confirmation prompt. Click on Yes.
This is how you can restore the firewall settings to default using the Settings app in Windows 10.
You can restore the firewall settings to default using a simple command line in the Command prompt. To perform the same, refer the below steps.
- On the Windows search box, type cmd. Right click on Command Prompt and select the option Run as Administrator.
- In the elevated Command Prompt screen, type the below command and hit enter.
netsh advfirewall reset
3. Wait for a moment. It will restore the firewall settings. Now, close the Command Prompt.
Use Windows PowerShell to restore the Firewall settings on your computers. To perform the same, refer the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + X keys on your keyboard and select the option Windows PowerShell (Admin).
2. On the elevated PowerShell screen, copy and paste the below line and hit enter.
This will restore the firewall settings to default.
I hope that above all methods helps you to Restore Windows Firewall settings to default. You can follow any one of the above methods to perform the task. In addition, if you need any further assistance, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.