The Windows Registry usually referred, as Registry is a collection of databases of configuration settings in the Windows Operating Systems. If you are facing any issue on your computer, sometimes as a part of troubleshooting, you may need to make changes in the System Registry. In these cases, it is required to backup registry for safety purpose. In this guide, we will explain how to import and export registry keys in Windows computers
System Registry is used to store much of the information and settings for software programs, hardware devices, user preferences, operating system configurations and much more. If you intend to make any changes in the System Registry like editing, deleting etc. we recommend you to follow the below steps and export the registry keys on your computer.
We will also explain how to import the registry keys on your computer.
How to import and export registry keys in Windows 10?
Refer the below steps to learn how to import and export the registry keys on Windows 10 computers.
How to export the registry keys?
While exporting, you can try exporting the entire system registry or a particular registry key. Refer the below steps to perform both the tasks.
Export the complete System Registry keys:
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window. Type regedit and hit enter. It will open the Registry Editor.
2. Click on File and select the option Export.
3. Select the location where you wish to save the file, name it as per your wish and click on Save.
4. It will take a while to export the Registry keys. The Registry editor seems to be not responding during the process. Do not interrupt the process.
Once the export is done, you can find the backup file in the location where you selected.
Export a particular registry key:
If you wish to export a particular registry key, you can navigate to the location and export it. You can refer below steps to perform the same.
- Launch System Registry using the regedit key in RUN window.
2. Navigate to the key location, which you need to backup.
3. Right click on the key and select the option Export.
4. Save the file in the desired location, make sure to give it a name while saving.
This is how you can export a complete registry or a particular registry key on your Windows 10 computers. This process is similar in all the other Operating Systems like Windows 8/8.1, 7 and Vista.
How to import a registry key?
Importing the registry key is quite simple thing. You can refer the below steps to perform the same.
- Locate the registry backup file.
- Right click on the registry file and select the option Merge.
3. You will get a prompt to wish to continue. Click on Yes.
It will import the registry key on your computer.
This is how you can import and export the registry keys on your computer. If you need any further assistance on your computer issues, do comment below. We are happy to assist you.