When you try printing the documents on your computer, first they will redirect to print queue and then print the document. Suppose for any reason, if there is any issue with the printer and if the documents are not printed, the files remains in the print queue. If you wish to print the documents, first you need to clear print queue.
Users reported, sometimes when they try to clear the print queue, it will not delete and remains as it is. If you are facing the issue with unable to clear queue on your computer, this guide helps you to fix the issues and get the computer work properly.
There are different ways you can clear print queue. In this guide, we have discussed all the possible methods to clear the print queue files on your computer.
How to clear print queue in Windows 10 computers?
You can follow the below mentioned steps to clear print queue on your computer. If you are not able to clear the printer files after following the steps, you can proceed with the further steps.
Stop and start the Print Spooler service:
If you are not able to clear queue files on your computer, you can try stopping the Spooler service. After deleting the files, you can restart the service again. To perform the same, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, type services.msc and hit enter. It will open Services window.
2. Search and locate Print Spooler Service. Right click on it and select the option Stop.
3. Now, go to the Print queue window. On the menu, click on Printer and select the option Cancel All Documents.
4. Once after clearing the files, again open Services window and Start the Print Spooler service.
This will clear the print queue files on your computer. If you get any error or if the files remains as it is, you can refer the further resolution steps.
Delete print queue files manually:
If the above steps did not help you to clear the print queue files on your computer, you can try deleting the files manually and get the things work properly. Refer the below steps to perform the same.
- As discussed above, go to the Services window and Stop the Print Spooler service first.
2. Now, navigate to the below location in the File Explorer. (You can just copy and paste the below location in the RUN window to open it directly.)
3. If you get any permissions prompt like below, click on Continue.
4. Select all the files present in this folder and Delete them.
5. If you get any permission prompts again, click on Continue.
6. Once you delete the files, you can go to Services window and Start the Print Spooler service.
This is how you can clear the files from print queue. You can also clear the print queue files using the command prompt. Refer the below steps to perform the same.
Clear print queue files using Command Prompt:
You are now going to perform the same task as above steps using the Command Prompt here. The process is similar. First, you need to stop the Print Spooler service, delete the files and then start the Spooler service. To perform the same, refer the below steps.
- Launch Command Prompt with Admin privileges.
- In the elevated command prompt, type the below command and hit enter to stop the Print Spooler service.
net stop spooler
3. To delete all the files from the Printers folder and clear printer queue, type the below command and hit enter.
del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q
4. Once after that, use the below command to start the Print Spooler service. You can use the below command for the same.
net start spooler
This is how you can delete the printer files using the Command Prompt.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to clear the print queue files on your computer using the different methods. You can follow any of the above-mentioned steps to clear the printer files. If you need any further assistance, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.