Windows 10 provides multiple options to sign-in to the user account. You can setup a Password, PIN, face recognition etc. It provides more security and prevent someone to access your computer. PIN sign-in option is comparatively much better than the password. When you setup the PIN on your computer, you can use the same to login. However, after few updates, when you try signing-in to your computer, you may encounter the error, “Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. You can setup your PIN again by going to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.”
After the recent Updates in Windows 10, few changes updated in the User Account permissions. Due to these changes, the Administrator user account has lost its permissions. As a result, you will not be able to login to the user account with the PIN. The login screen prompts the error message and does not let you to login to the computer using PIN.
If you are facing the issue with the error Your Pin is no longer available, then you can follow the resolution steps mentioned in this guide and fix the error.
How to fix Your Pin is no longer available error on Windows 10?
Follow the below resolution steps to fix the issue with Your PIN is no longer available error message while signing-in to the computer.
Change PIN from Settings:
The following troubleshooting steps requires Administrator User Account permissions. So, make sure that the User Account that you logged in has Admin privileges.
As the PIN is not working, try logging to the User account with the Password and follow the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + I keys to open the Settings window.
- Click on Accounts option.
3. On the left hand pane, click on Sign-in options and click on option Change under PIN.
4. It prompts you to enter the old and new PIN. Enter the new PIN and click on OK.
Now, reboot your computer and try signing-in to the computer using the new PIN. Check if the issue with Your PIN is no longer available error gets fix. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Delete files from NGC folder:
NGC folder contains the all the files responsible for PIN related settings. Therefore, you can try deleting the files from NGC folder and try setting up a new PIN. To perform the same, first enable the hidden files from the Windows Explorer and proceed with the further steps.
Navigate to the below location
Locate the NGC folder from this location and try to delete the files from the folder.
If all the files deleted successfully, refer this link and try creating new PIN.
While opening the NGC folder, if you get any Permission Denied error, then follow the below steps to fix this error.
- Right click on NGC folder and click on Properties.
2. Click on Security tab and select the option Advanced.
3. In Advanced Security Settings, click on option Change in the Owner section.
4. Click on Object Types and make sure all the options are checked in it.
5. In the Enter the object name to select option, type Administrator, click on Check Names and click on OK.
6. Check the option Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Click on OK.
7. Now, you can access the NGC folder. Delete all the files present in it and reboot your computer.
Now, refer the below link to create a new PIN. Reboot your computer and try to login with the new PIN. It should work fine this time.
The above resolution steps helps you to fix the issue with the error Your PIN no longer available error when trying to sign-in to the computer using the PIN. If you need any further assistance, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.