Windows Users reported a start-up error. WerFault.exe application error prompts during the computer start-up and while trying to launch the Windows default apps. This error comes up while trying to access such as Mail, Calendar, Photos, Settings app etc.
WerFault.exe is a process related to the Windows Error Reporting Service. This service is designed to allow Windows users to send data pertaining to error. And issues regarding the Windows Operating System to Microsoft and receive information about possible solutions.
The WertFault.exe error occurs mainly when there is some issue with the Windows Error Reporting Service. In addition, the issues in the BIOS and the internal Operating System files causes this issue.
How to fix WerFault.exe application error on Windows?
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to create a System Restore point. If something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
Follow the below resolution steps one by one and check if the issue get fix after each step. If the issue remains, you can try proceeding with the further resolution steps.
Restart Windows Error Reporting Service:
As mentioned above, the WerFault.exe is related to the Windows Error Reporting Service, the first troubleshooting step you can try is restarting the service. To perform the same, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, type services.msc and click on OK to open the Services window.
2. Search and locate Windows Error Reporting Service, right click on it and select the option Properties.
3. Set the Startup type to Automatic and Start the Service Status.
If the Service did not start by prompting an error like Access denied, refer the below steps to Start the service.
4. In the Service Properties window, click on Log On tab and click on Browse option.
5. In the box, Enter the object name to select, type in your user account name and click on Check Names. It will let the user account to become available.
6. Close the Properties window and try restarting the Service. It should work fine this time.
After restarting the service, reboot your computer and check if the apps works fine without any WerFault.exe Application error. If the error remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Install available updates to fix WerFault.exe Application error:
If there are any updates available in the computer, you can try installing them to fix the WerFault.exe Application error. To install Windows Updates, refer the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on keyboard to open the Windows Settings and click on Update & Security.
2. Click on the option Check for Updates.
3. It will take a while and detect the updates if available. Install them and reboot your computer.
4. After the reboot, the computer should work fine without any WerFault.exe application error. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Perform System Reset:
If the above resolution steps did not work, you can try performing the System Reset. System Reset will reset the Windows Settings and let the Operating System run smooth. You will get the options to select the personal data and files. You can keep the files and proceed with the System Reset process.
Refer the below link to learn how to perform System Reset.
The above resolution steps helps you to fix the issue with WerFault.exe application error on your Windows 10 computers. If the above steps did not help and if the issue remains on your computer, you can try updating the BIOS to fix the issue. If you need further help, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.