When you try opening a link from the Outlook email, it will not open and prompts the error, “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System administrator.” We observed this issue in all the versions of the Outlook for example, Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 and older versions as well.
The issue occurs when there is some issue in the default browsers of the computer. It may be due to the issue with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or some other browser. If you are facing the issues with hyperlinks not working in Outlook, you can refer the below resolution steps, and fix them by yourself.
How to fix this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer error?
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we recommend you to create a system restore point. If something goes wrong during troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
Reset browser settings to fix this operation has been cancelled error:
As we mentioned earlier, the issue mostly occurs due to the fault in the default browsers. Therefore, resetting your browser might help you to fix the issue with hyperlinks not working in Outlook. Depending on the default browser on your computer, you can refer the below links and perform the browser reset.
After resetting the browser, reboot your computer and check if hyperlinks works fine on Outlook. If the issue with this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions remains, you can continue with the further troubleshooting steps.
Change default browser on your computer:
If the current default browser is faulty, changing the default browser on the computer helps you to fix this issue. Most users able to fix this issue by changing the default browser in the computer. You can refer the below steps to change default browser on your computer.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on keyboard to open Settings window and select Apps.
2. Click on Default apps on your left hand side options, scroll down and select the option Web browser.
3. You can select a different browser here to fix this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions error.
Now, try to close and reopen Outlook and check if the hyperlinks works fine. If the issue remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Change HTM/HTML associations in the System Registry:
If the issue with the error this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions remains even after the above resolution steps, you can try changing the HTM/HTML associations in the System Registry.
Note: Before making any changes in the System Registry, we suggest you to take the backup of full System Registry keys. If something goes wrong after the changes, you can restore the registry to get everything back to normal.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, type REGEDIT and hit enter. It will open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the below location and check if the default value of the key is htmlfile.
3. Suppose that, if the default value is different, you can right click on it, select Modify and change the value date to htmlfile.
4. Now, navigate to the below locations and change their value data to htmlfile.
Close the System Registry, set Internet Explorer to default browser and reboot your computer. Now, check if the hyperlinks working fine in the Outlook. If the error continues, you can try further resolution steps.
Import registry key from a different computer:
If you have installed the latest Internet Explorer updates on your computer, the issue might occur with the faulty or corrupted COMMAND key on the system registry. In this case, you can try to export the same key from a different computer where the Outlook works fine and import it to your computer in which you are facing the issues.
To perform the same, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, type REGEDIT and enter to open the System Registry.
2. Navigate to the below location, right click on OPEN key and select the option Export.
3. Select the location where you wish to save the file, name it as you wish and select the option Save.
4. Now, using a Flash Drive or any external storage device, copy this file and then paste it on your computer in which you are facing the issue.
5. Then, right click on the exported file and select the option Merge.
6. It prompts a warning message as below. Click on Yes.
7. On the successful merge of the Registry key, you can see the below screen.
Now, reboot your computer and check Outlook if the hyperlinks working fine. It should work fine without popping the error this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions. If the error continues, you can try the below steps.
Perform a System Restore:
If the issue with hyperlinks started recently on your computer after installing any programs, you can try performing the System Restore to restore the computer to previous working state. I hope that, this should fix the issues with hyperlinks not working on the Outlook. Refer the below link to perform System Restore on your computer.
After the System Restore, check if the hyperlinks works fine in the Outlook.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the issue with this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect of this computer error. For any further assistance on this error, you can comment below.