Most annoying thing for the Windows users is system slow performance. Computer takes forever to startup, applications take long time to open and freezes forever. Computer will be working properly but suddenly the performance affects with some minor or major changes. If this happens, identifying the issue is easy.
Suppose if the performance is affected after installing any particular application or an Update, troubleshooting the issue and improving the performance. When you do not have the proper cause of the issue, do not worry. After researching on lot of computers, we have listed the best possible troubleshooting steps to improve your system performance.
Why my system performance is slow?
The common question that every Windows users think when the performance of the computer becomes slow is why the system performance is slow. There are different reasons why the computer performance becomes slow and freeze up while performance any task.
Here are the most possible reasons for the computer freezing and slow performance.
- No space in the hard drive.
- Programs running in the background.
- More programs enabled at startup.
- Unwanted or corrupted extensions in browser.
- Hard drive contains bad sectors.
- Computer affected with Trojans / malware infections.
- Outdated Anti-Virus program.
- Incompatible driver or program installed in your computer.
There are many other factors cause the computer freezing and slow performance issues. In this article, we are providing the systematic procedure to improve the system performance and get back your computer to the normal state.
Learn how to fix System Slow Performance and computer freezing issues in Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 & 7.
You can follow the below resolution steps to improve the performance in all the Windows Operating Systems like Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 and Windows 7.
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we recommend you to create a System Restore point. If something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
Delete Temporary files:
Temporary files in Windows are created automatically when performing the tasks using the different application. These files will be saved in the TEMP folder. Sometimes, it consumes a lot of space in the hard drive. So, it is recommended to clear the TEMP files from the computer regularly. Refer the below steps to delete Temporary files from your computer.
- Press Windows logo + R keys to open RUN window, type TEMP and click on OK.
2. It will open the TEMP files folder. Select all files in this folder and click on Delete option.
3. If there are more files, it will take a while to delete them.
4. At the end, it may prompt the error like File in Use. You can skip them.
5. Repeat the same for %TEMP% and PREFETCH.
6. This will clear all the temporary files that are saved in the computer.
Adjust settings for best performance:
Windows by default has the settings for the best appearance. For the best appearance, most of the features are enabled which also affects the performance. Therefore, when troubleshooting for the performance issue, you can change the settings to best performance by enabling only limited options. Follow the below steps to perform the task.
- Right click on This PC (in Windows 10, 8.1 & 8) or My Computer (earlier versions) in File Explorer and select Properties.
2. On the System Properties window, click the option Advanced System Settings.
3. It will open the System Properties window. In the Advanced tab, click on Settings option under Performance category.
4. In the Performance Options, by default the option Adjust for best appearance will be selected. Click on Adjust for best performance and then select only few required options in the list.
5. Click on Apply and then click OK.
6. Now, the settings are adjusted to best performance.
Perform Disk Cleanup:
Disk cleanup helps you to free up disk space on computer’s hard drive. The utility first searches and analyses the hard drive for files that are no longer of any use and removes the unnecessary files. Follow the below steps to perform disk cleanup.
- Press Windows logo + R keys to open RUN window, type cleanmgr and hit enter.
2. It will open the Disk Cleanup screen. Select C drive and click on OK.
3. It will now calculate for the space that can be cleaned from C drive.
4. In the list, check all the options and click on OK. (If you wish to keep the files in Recycle Bin, keep this option unchecked.)
5. It will prompt to delete the files. Click on the option Delete Files.
6. This will perform the disk cleanup of the hard drive.
After performing the disk cleanup, proceed with the further troubleshooting steps to improve the system performance.
Scan computer for virus infections:
If your computer is affected with the virus or malware infections, it slows down the computer performance. So, it is recommended to scan the computer and remove infections regularly. If you have purchased any security program and installed in your computer, you can scan the computer using the same program.
If there is no Anti-Virus program installed, you can download the Malwarebytes from the below link and perform the one time scan.
Double click on the downloaded file, follow the on-screen instructions and install the application. Perform the virus scan. If the scan detects any errors, remove them and reboot your computer.
Remove unwanted programs:
While browsing Internet or while trying to install any program in your computer, without your knowledge, some other programs will also be installed. It is required to be careful while installing any program in the computer. Those applications may also affect the system performance. Therefore, we recommend you to remove all the unwanted programs from your computer.
Follow the below steps to remove unwanted applications from your computer.
- Open RUN window, type appwiz.cpl and click on OK to open the list of programs installed in your computer.
2. Check for the unwanted application installed in the computer, right click on it and select uninstall.
Note: Some Microsoft applications will be installed by default. Do not remove them.
3. If computer prompts for reboot, reboot the computer and proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Perform clean boot:
Performing the clean boot allows you to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers, services and startup programs, so that you can determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing the issues.
You can also disable the startup programs during clean boot. Refer the below link to perform clean boot in windows.
Update Anti-Virus Program:
Keeping the Anti-Virus program up to date helps you to keep the computer secured. Check for the updates in the security program and install all the available updates. If the Anti-Virus program is not working properly, you can try to disable or uninstall it from the computer. Refer the below links to perform the tasks.
Perform System Reset to fix system slow performance:
By performing the above troubleshooting steps, system performance should be improved now and there should not be any issue with the computer freezing. If the issue still remains, you can try performing the System Reset to reset the settings to default. Refer the below link to perform System Reset.
Hope the above troubleshooting steps helps you to improve the System performance and fix the issue with computer freezing. If you need any further help, do comments below.