We all know most of the Windows Users love to use Google Chrome browser because of its effective and faster performance. There are various features available in the Chrome browser that allows users to operate different functions easily. Google Chrome extensions are small software programs that customize the browsing experience. There are different extensions available that can be added in the Chrome browser. Some users reported, Chrome extensions stopped working suddenly.
The issue with the Chrome extensions stopped working occurs due to the various reasons. After researching this issue on different computers, we have listed the possible resolution steps that helps you to fix the Chrome extensions stopped working issue.
If you are facing the issue with the Chrome extensions on your computer, you can follow the below resolution steps and get the Chrome to work properly again.
How to fix Google Chrome extensions stopped working issue?
Follow the resolution steps one by one and check if the extensions work fine after each resolution steps. If the error remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
End Google Chrome Task from Task Manager:
Suppose if the Chrome process is running in the background process or if it is consuming the high CPU usage, the browser may not work properly and the extensions may not work. You can try to end the Google Chrome task from Task Manager and see if that works.
Most of the users fixed this issue by simply ending the Chrome from the Task Manager. Refer the below steps and perform the same on your computer.
- Close the Google Chrome browser.
- Right click in an empty place in the taskbar and select the option Task Manager.
3. Under the processes tab, right click on Google Chrome and select the option End task.
Close and re-open the Chrome browser and see if the extensions work fine. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further steps.
Re-install Extensions on Chrome:
Sometimes, if there is any issue with particular extension, the other extensions also might not work properly. Therefore, we suggest you to remove and re-install all the extensions on your browser.
Refer the below steps to reinstall Chrome extensions on your computer.
- Click on three dots at the top right corner, click on More Tools and select the option Extensions.
2. Select the extension and click on Remove option.
3. A pop-up prompts at the top right corner. Select the option Remove.
4. Once it is removed, search for the extension in Google. Click on Add to Chrome.
5. It prompts to add the extension. Select the option Add Extension.
You can repeat the same with the other extensions and reinstall them. Close and reopen the Chrome browser and check if the extensions work fine. You can continue with the further resolution steps if the error remains the same.
Update Google Chrome browser:
Out dated Google Chrome browser also causes the issues with the extensions on your computer. So, if the browser is not the latest version, we suggest you to update the Chrome browser and see if the extensions works fine. To update the Chrome browser, refer the below steps.
- Click on three dots, select the option Help and then click on About Google Chrome.
2. It will start checking for the updated versions and downloads them automatically.
3. Once it is downloaded, it will install the update and prompts to Relaunch once the update is finished.
Relaunch browser and check if the extensions work fine. It should work fine this time. If the error remains, you can try installing the Windows Updates on your computer.
To install Windows Updates:
- Press Windows logo + I keys on keyboard to open settings window.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Next, click on Check for Updates. Computer will take some time to detect the updates and install them.
Once the updates are installed, reboot your computer and try using the Google Chrome browser. It should work fine without any Chrome extensions stopped working issue. If the error remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
You can also refer this, to update Google Chrome.
Create new Chrome profile to fix Chrome extensions stopped working issue:
Most of the issues in the Chrome browser can be fixed by creating a new user profile. It means all the saved bookmarks, history, cookies will be removed from the Chrome and a fresh Chrome application will be launched.
Before proceeding with this, we suggest you to back up all the bookmarks from your Chrome browser. Refer the below link to back up the Chrome bookmarks.
- Close all the tabs in the chrome browser and try to end the Chrome process if it is running in the Task Manager.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window, copy and paste the below command in the RUN box and hit OK.
3. Locate the Default folder in the location, right click on select the option Rename and rename it as Default.old.
Note: If the Chrome process is running in the background, it prompts the access denied error.
4. All the Chrome Bookmarks will be available in this renamed folder.
5. Now, you can open Chrome browser and try adding the required extensions.
In most of the cases, creating a new profile has fixed the issue. In case, if the error continues, then there are a chances that computer might be affected with the virus infections. Suggest you to scan the computer for the virus infections using any protection software.
If you have not purchased any Anti-Virus program, you can use Windows Defender to scan the computer for the malicious files and remove them. This should help you to fix the Chrome extensions stopped working issue on your computer.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the Google Chrome extensions issue on your computer and let the Chrome works properly without any errors. If you need any further assistance, do comments below. We are happy to assist you.