When you try launching any program in your computer, it does not start and prompts the error, “The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” The error found with most of the applications like Skype, Microsoft Office, Browsers and some other third-party applications.
Some users tried reinstalling the program with no luck. The api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file is related to Microsoft Visual C++ programming redistributable files. If any of the files related to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages are damage or corrupt, the applications using these files in the backend will not work and prompt the error message.
Repairing or reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages helps you to fix the issue with this DLL error and let the programs work properly. We have listed all the possible resolution steps to fix the issue with the DLL error on your computer. If you are facing such issue in your computer, follow the below resolution steps one by one and check if the issue got resolved. If the issue persists, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
How to fix api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error on Windows?
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the resolution steps, we recommend you to create a System Restore point first. If something goes wrong during troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
Install Visual C++ Redistributable packages:
As the issue is related to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, you can try reinstalling the same to fix the error. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 causes this issue. You can try removing it and reinstall in your computer.
If Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 is not installed in your computer, you can download it from the below link and install in your computer.
- Open the above link and click on Download button.
2. It prompts you to choose the download you want. If your Operating System is 32-bit, you can download VC_redist.x64.exe file. Download and install both the files VC_redist.x64.exe and VC_redist.x86.exe for 64-bit computers.
3. It will take a while to download the files. If the download does not start immediately, you can click on the option click here to download manually.
4. Install the files in the computer by following the on-screen instructions.
Reboot your computer now and try launching the application. See if the issue got resolved. If the issue remains same, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable packages:
If the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 is not installed in your computer, you can try step 1. If it is already installed in your computer, you can try uninstalling it and then install. To perform the same, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
2. It will open the list of programs installed in the computer. Locate the program Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, right click on it and select the option Uninstall.
3. Once the uninstallation is completed, reboot your computer. Follow the above step to download and install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on your computer.
Again, reboot your computer now and try launching the application. The application should work fine without the error api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing. If the issue remains, you can try updating the Windows.
Install Windows Updates to fix api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error:
In some cases, if not all the backend files related to Visual C++ redistributable package installed properly, reinstalling these files also will not help. Therefore, you can try updating the computer to the latest updates and see if the issue gets fix. To install Windows Updates on your computer, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on keyboard to open Settings window and click on Update & Security.
2. On the left hand pane, click on Windows Update and click the option Check for Updates.
3. If computer detects any updates, download and install them.
Reboot your computer and check if the issue with the DLL error gets fix. Applications in the computer should work fine this time.
The above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the issue with api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. If need further assistance, do let us know in comments. We are happy to assist you.